Tablets are becoming more popular among kids and thankfully we got many options to choose Best Tablets for Kids in 2013. As computers plays important part in our day to day word, it is good option to introduce kids to these devices as early as possible because the learning curve keeps getting larger every day.
There are many tablet choices for preschool kids, little ones, preteens and teens. Though we have wide range of tablets, but they are not cheap gadgets, so make sure you get the right one for your kid. Fortunately for parents there are many solid and affordable tablets available nowadays, which give little ones fun of having a portable learning gadget and you a peace of mind from damage and breakage of these gadgets.
There are four different categories to select a tablet for a child:
Kids Learning Tablets: These tablets are invented for young kids which have series of educational software available.
Android Tablet for kids: These one gives you the best parental control options and solid design have loads of kids friendly apps and you can monitor or limit internet access.
General Android Tablets: As the name suggests, they are not designed for kids, but can used by kids if you managed to get cases to protect them. Kids will get access to all Android apps and you can limit the internet usage through parental controls.
Apple Ipad: These are the more expensive option in the market but have lots of great kids-friendly apps. This one will be good option for preteens and teens.
Based on these categories, we have created a list of best tablets for kids in each group.
Best Learning Tablets for Kids
The LeapFrog LeapPad Explorer Learning Tablet is a touchscreen tablet designed specifically for children. LeapPad2 Explorer inspires kids to imagine and explore with front-and-back cameras, 4 GB of memory and a library of 325+ apps for limitless learning and fun. Explore a library of 325+ LeapFrog Explorer cartridges and downloadable apps, including innovative book apps, videos, music, creativity apps and more.
LeapFrog LeapPad2 Explorer product specifications:
- 4 GB of Memory.
- Front and back camera with video recording.
- 325+ apps for limitless learning and fun.
- 5″ touchscreen with motion control and built-in microphone.
- Draws from more than 2500 skills in subjects like reading, art, music, language and culture, science, geography, mathematics, health and more.
The VTech InnoTab 2 is another great Learning Tablet for kids. This multi-functional tablet for children ages 3 – 9 includes a photo/video camera, a 5-inch touch screen, 2 GB of onboard memory, an SD card slot for expandable memory, and media players for MP3s, photos, and videos. The InnoTab 2 comes with an art studio, coloring app, one e-book, two motion sensor games, and 2 free downloads from the Learning Lodge Navigator. Additional songs, games, e-books, and videos are available for purchase online on VTech’s Learning Lodge Navigator.
VTech InnoTab 2 Learning App Tablet product specifications:
- Built-in digital photo/video camera fully rotates to take images and videos of others or yourself.
- 2 GB onboard memory with SD card slot expandable up to 16 GB of memory.
- 5″ color touch screen and tilt sensor.
- Camera, video camera, photo viewer, video player, MP3 music player, e-reader, art studio, games, and microphone.
Best Android Tablets for Kids
Nabi 2 is full featured Android tablet created especially for kids, the nabi delivers a wide range of experiences to engage, entertain and educate kids including kiddified Web browsing, watching movies and TV shows, reading books, learning math and playing games. Because nabi is a true tablet, it grows with kids over time rather than being discarded like toy tablets..
Nabi 2 tablet product specifications:
- 1 GB of Memory.
- 802.11 b/g/n Wireless Card.
- Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Nvidia Graphics Card.
- 7″ touch screen display.
- 8 GB Flash Drive.
Safely explore the digital world with the Oregon Scientific MEEP! tablet computer. Designed for children ages six and up, the MEEP! tablet is a powerful touch-screen Wi-Fi-enabled tablet that has ebooks, apps, games, and music –and all of it can be controlled by the built-in parental-control software to make sure kids only see appropriate content.
Oregon Scientific MEEP product specifications:
- 4 GB of Internal Memory.
- 7″ touchscreen display.
- 1.0 GHz built-in Processor.
- Built-in Wi-Fi.
- .3 megapixel camera.
- Android 4.0 Operating System.
Best General Purpose Android Tablets
Kindle Fire product specifications:
- 8 GB of Flash Memory.
- 7″ multi-touch color display.
- Built-in Wi-Fi.
- 9 hours of battery backup.
Google Nexus 7 designed by Asus is a high end Android Tablet. It does not have features created mainly for kids as it’s a fully designed for adults. But this can be a good option for teens and preteens where you can install parental control apps to make it well suited for kids.
Google Nexus 7 Tablet product specifications:
- 7 inch 1280×800 HD display (216 ppi)
- Quad-core Tegra 3 processor.
- 16 GB internal storage (actual formatted capacity will be less)
- Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean),Memory: Slots: Onboard, Installed: 1GB
- 4325 mAh battery (Up to 8 hours of active use)
Best iPad for Kids
Apple iPad Mini is a 7.9” tablet and more expensive option compare to all the tablets for kid’s category. But with this option, you will get the best hardware and sleek user experience. This is the best upgrade option for kids who are using iPod touch or who are already familiar with iOS.
Apple iPad Mini product specifications:
- 7.9-inch LED-backlit Multi-Touch Display; 1024-by-768 Resolution
- Apple iOS 6; Dual-Core A5 Chip
- 5 MP iSight Camera; 1080p HD Video Recording
- Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
- 16 GB Intenal Storage
- Up to 10 Hours of Battery Life; 0.68 lb
Cool Tip: If you are looking to buy a tablet for your kid, go for the one which suits him now, not a year later. If your kid needs a learning tablet and you bought an Android one thinking he or she may use it for years to come, then you may be wrong. Because after a year or two, that particular tablet may become outdated.